Monday, March 12, 2007

I'm so fortunate...

Sometimes I get so caught up in my financial irresponsibility I forget about how fortunate I am.

We got paid last Friday.

Over $1,000 (with mileage and overtime--we reporters aren't rich) was deposited into my account but since my account was waaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyy overdrawn, I had a little under 75 percent left.

It sucked. Big time. I had so much to do with that small amount of money. I didn't know how I was going to make it.

I sat in my car during my lunch break on Friday thinking about all my bills and other stuff I had to pay when a man approached me.

I swear God sent that man to me. He was on a bike and visibly homeless. He told me that he was trying to get bus fare to get across town to get to work. He promised, emphasized, and crossed his “heart hope to die” to me that the money wasn’t for gambling, drugs, or alcohol. He lives at a homeless shelter. He was skinny and weak--too weak to ride a bike across town to work. He said he just got a job driving some old man around, like Missy Daisy except it’s a white man, not a white woman.

Clearly this man is doing way worse than me. I have a job. I get money. I have a car ( a nice car) and I don’t live at a homeless shelter. I’m so fortunate.

I gave him the $2.50 for the bus fare despite all of my own financial woes.

I just hope that we both get blessed enough to get our lives together.

1 comment:

Donecia Pea said...

Now that's some real perspective right there. I guess things could always be worse...REALLY worse.