Friday, December 22, 2006

The *real* story

At church meeting this week, one of our members spoke about how clean our view of the Nativity is. In the standard creche, Jesus never cries, Mary is all serene despite natural childbirth surrounded by sheep and Joseph looks confident in ability to care for the child they believe to be the Son of God.

For those who need a reality check, go see The Nativity Story. Sure, the movie tweaked the timeline of the Bible to fit movie time and left out the presentation in the temple, which I think is a great story. But it does a remarkable job of juxtaposing what Christians see as the supernatural act of God becoming man and the messiness of real life. One day Joseph is building a house for his fiancee and the next he's being visited by angels. Mary helps with the harvest while pregnant with Jesus. They are shunned by friends and visited by kings.

Regardless of your faith, if you're a believer in some higher power, I think you could appreciate this idea of God in the everyday stuff of life. If anyone out there has seen it, what do you think?

1 comment:

Donecia Pea said...

I haven't seen the movie, and I probably won't just because I rarely go the movies anyway, BUT I am curious. From the way you describe it, it sounds really interesting.

I'm always hesitant about Hollywood putting its own modern spin on biblical stories, but one would probably argue that the Bible is a spin and I KNOW I don't agree with that. So I'll just say when it comes on DVD, I might consider checking it out.