Wednesday, September 19, 2007

March on Jena: The Intro

You know, when I first read the story of the Jena Six on our editor’s blog back in July, I felt sick. So sick that I wanted to get my thoughts out immediately. And I felt sick for several reasons: 1. I couldn't believe that I hadn't heard until then that something like this was going on just a few hours away from me. 2. The injustice that occurred is so disgusting and disappointing, but sadly, not shocking at all. 3. It's just a plain ol' sad reminder of the die-hard racism that still exists in the South and really the entire country.

I am optimistic, though, that people are putting their foot down and saying “No more!” However, is it me, or does it seem like everyone but Louisiana folks as a whole are even showing this the amount of attention, concern or outrage that this case warrants?

I mean, this is supposed to be 2007 not 1957, right?

Some say the March on Jena will be one for the history books as far as the number of participants. Among the big names expected to be in attendance include Michael Baisden, the very popular syndicated radio show host who's been largely credited with bringing this story to national attention and keeping it alive through his radio show; the Revs. Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson, of course; and the children of the late Martin Luther King Jr. I’ve even heard some prominent entertainers are going to be there.

I'll see for myself Thursday when I, along with Times reporters including Ashley Northington and Loresha Wilson, will travel there to cover the events. They’re going to bring you full coverage which you can find on shreveporttimes.com, while I share my personal account of the experience on here.
Times reporter Joel Anderson was already in Jena earlier this week and you can read more about that in tomorrow's edition of The Times.
Meanwhile, check back here and on shreveporttimes.com throughout the day for up-to-the-minute coverage of the March on Jena.

No comments: