Friday, September 21, 2007

This may have been too close

Or at least it was for the Shreveport police. I took this photo earlier today at a fire at a recycling collection site.

I try to make my photos (and writing) as interesting as possible, so angles are important. We see pictures of firefighters from far away or with their backs to us pretty often, so I wanted to get as close as I could and try to get a face in the shot.

And I did a pretty good job of it before a police officer peaked around the dumpster and found me. Busted. She kicked me out and put me with the other media folk -- in a much more boring spot. Granted, she told me she just did it for my protection, and I believe she had hers and my best interests in mind. But I wouldn't have gone there if I really felt in danger. And the firefighters and their supervisors didn't make me move... Water under the bridge.

Anyhow, I got this and the one that will appear in Saturday's paper. This firefighter, Dwayne Johnson, had a good sense of humor. When he realized I was taking his picture he asked if it was OK to turn the hose in my direction... haha. I feel like this would've been my last blog if we had destroyed the camera.

Can you feel the heat?

2 comments:

Shane Bevel said...

"If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough." - Robert Capa

Adam Kealoha Causey said...

Haha. Thanks, Shane.