Monday, October 01, 2007

One Year

I made it!

I've actually lived in Shreveport for an entire year. I can hardly believe it's been12 months since I packed up my familiar Nashville life to trade it in for a confusing, sometimes scary and independent Shreveport life. But I did it.

And I think I'm a better person for it.

Things I've learned: I've gained some culinary skills of which I'm most proud because my Grandmama always said I'd never cook anything. I've learned to find some happiness in silence and loneliness, which is also good because my Mother predicted early on that I'd get homesick and leave here. I know that family will help you through tough times--just ask my Dad's wallet.

A major part of my move was to prove to myself that I can live outside of my hometown. I got so sick while attending college in Chattanooga (which is only an hour and a half away from Nashville) that I left a tuition-paid scholarship to come back home to finish college there. My first newspaper job was even in Nashville, it's a part of the same family as The Times.

I still can't believe it's been a whole year.

It's been so fun. I've met so many great people and I get to cover a beat that I absolutely love. I've seen a new mayor take office (and even attended the party to celebrate), a school district superintendent leave and I'm watching the state's gubernatorial race unfold. I even had a birthday.

Wow.

I imagine these warm and fuzzy feelings will subside once I'm given my yearly evaluation.

Yikes.

1 comment:

Adam Kealoha Causey said...

Congrats, Ashley! And I'm sure you can talk your way through that eval just fine.