Sunday, May 13, 2007

Sex Talk with Sue

I was all prepared to write about the benefits of vacations (one of which I desperately need).

But as I sat down on the couch with my lap top and flipped through some channels I came across Talk Sex with Sue Johanson.

I've seen her on some other shows before but never really paid attention. But Sue caught my attention tonight.

Callers presented Sue with dilemmas that ranged from normal medical questions to off the wall questions pertaining to their experiences.

Numerous questions ran through my head as I watched a segment.

A majority of her callers were in their 40s and 50s. Is this because sexual health/education was different and lacking when they were in school? Or is it just a mark of their maturity and willingness to open up about their issues?
Why aren't there any 20-somethings calling (atleast that night)? Do we think we know it all?
How has this show lasted decades when it seems that it's topics are something society tries to sweep under the rug?
Does Sue's grandmotherly image make it easier for people to talk to her or make what she's talking about seem less taboo?
Why does Sue seem to know it all?

Sue isn't new to the scene, she started the Sunday Night Sex Show in Toronto in 1984 and has progressed to the Oxygen channel show. But I wonder how many people know about her.

Have you seen the show or heard about Sue and what do you think about it?

Or do you think I should have stuck to my vacation post? Ha!

No comments: