Saturday, July 14, 2007

So maybe you don't need the actual passport just yet

Just an interesting tidbit. I've heard a lot of people tell me their crazy stories about driving down to New Orleans or Houston just before a cruise to Mexico or somewhere in the Caribbean lately to stand in line for a passport.

Apparently you just need another government-issued I.D. plus your receipt from your passport application to get to Canada, Mexico and Bermuda right now. Check out the details at the Department of State Web site.

Maybe that will take a little of the travel stress off.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It took me four months to get my passport.

I needed it for my honeymoon (which was two months ago) but only received it in the mail last week.

Granted, my situation is pretty unusual (I was born overseas and I am adopted) and required several random documents that neither myself nor my parents possessed, but it still took four months.

Needless to say, my honeymoon plans had to undergo a complete overhaul.

In any case, the length of time it took to actually receive the passport was much less trying than the impossibilty of calling the Department of State and getting to talk to an actual person.

Good luck to anyone else who is currently facing this frustration!

Adam Kealoha Causey said...

Ha! Sorry to hear your honeymoon got messed up, Melissa. But you are right on about that red tape!