Sunday, April 15, 2007

Remembering the Holocaust

Today is Yom Hashoah, or Holocaust Remembrance Day.
(Did anyone know that? I had no clue until I found myself at an assignment for work.)

Today, I was able to listen to one survivor tell a small piece of her story and was astounded. It's amazing the things that some people live through.

It makes me wonder how I'd handle such a trying situation and if I'd live to tell my story. I often think that there's no way I would have survived it.

Sterilization experiments, death marches, concentration camps. I just couldn't have done it.

And to think similar genocides are going on in other places in the world while you sit and read this blog is crazy.

Today was definitely one of those days that made me stop and think of things others have gone through. To hear the atrocities directly from someone who experienced them left me in awe of some peoples' spirit and others' hate.

1 comment:

Adam Kealoha Causey said...

I wonder if people didn't care back then as much as many of us seem not to today.