Thursday, April 24, 2008

MySpace - good for the kids?

Just like hip hop, I’ve always felt that MySpace is often misunderstood, usually by people who know very little about it.

YES, I have a MySpace page and I love using it as another way to reconnect with some of my friends.

And YES, on the flip side, I’ve often said MySpace is the “ruination of relationships” – married or otherwise. But I don’t blame MySpace for that.
I blame dumb people (usually guys) or naïve people (usually girls) who use MySpace for those purposes. (I’m ONLY joking with the gender inferences!)

Anyway, I do tend to think kids and MySpace are about as bad a combination as kids and liquor, gambling or anything else bad.
And Lord knows there’s plenty of stories out there to back my claim.

However, I ran across this interesting MSNBC story that suggests otherwise. In fact, it actually said a recent survey proved quite the opposite: That MySpace can actually be good for teenagers. Well, shy teenagers, to be more specific.

I’m not sure if I’m buying it 100 percent, but what do you think? Do you think MySpace can be good for the kids? Or should it be just for adults?
Do YOU MySpace? Or are you one of those folks who think social networking is just weird, period?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think that parents should monitor what their kids put on myspace and such but I don't see any harm in it. Ofcourse bad things will always happen, and when tragedy sneaks in you always hear the cry "think of the children" from people who believe that they can make everything safe somehow. The way I see it, the choice is with the parents in each individual case and child, as it should be.