Thursday, April 10, 2008

Time's almost up

After much procrastination, staying true to my usual M.O., I finally filed my taxes today.
I was so ashamed to admit this even 24 hours ago until I discovered there are many more out there like me, putting off the inevitable.

And unlike me, they still have yet to take care of their business.
Well, now that I’ve quit dragging my slow behind on this, I want to help you, my fellow man, with this friendly reminder/public service announcement:

YOU GOT LESS THAN 5 DAYS LEFT!!!!! STOP SHUFFLING AND FILE THOSE TAXES ALREADY!

No more excuses. Even, if you’re cheapsakate like me, you can either do it yourself or do like I did and have someone do it for you. In my case, I went to the Queensborough Neighborhood Association where the folks were nice and friendly.
But best of all, it was FREE!

Here’s a list of some other places that offer free tax assistance, but time is running out, Tuesday will here before you know it. So, you may want to call them first:

  • The AARP Tax Aide Program, Tuesdays, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.; Thursdays, 9 a.m. to noon., Broadmoor Branch, Shreve Memorial Library, 1212 Captain Shreve Drive, (318) 869-0120.
  • Barksdale Air Force Base, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 11 a.m.; 1 p.m. to 4 p.m., basement of the Military Personnel Flight (MPF) Building on BAFB. For active military, retired military, reservists, dependents and Base employees only. Call 456-4765 for appointment.
  • Caddo Community Action Agency, Cedar Grove Center, Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m., 8001 Fairfield Ave. (318) 868-7222.
  • Caddo Community Action Agency, David Raines Center, 1625 David Raines Road,
    Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., (318) 425-2401.
  • Caddo Community Action Agency, St. Vincent Center, 4055 St. Vincent Ave., Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.; 2:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. (318) 861-4808.
  • Centerpoint, 1002 Texas Ave., Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Call (318) 227-2100 for appointment.
  • Louisiana Department of Revenue, 1525 Fairfield Ave. Call (318) 676-7505 for appointment.

2 comments:

Adam Kealoha Causey said...

That's awesome that the neighborhood association helped with that. News you can use, for sure! Maybe next tax season we can have a Link222 filing party...?

Stephanie Bemrose said...

That's a GREAT idea, Adam! We should have a filing party, but maybe around late February or EARLY March before the last-minute procrastination monster can grab us! We can be tax-filing leaders in the local young adults community!