Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Confessions of a 27-year-old dinosoar

I may be risking my job by admitting this, but technology does not excite me.

Don't get me wrong -- I'm no Luddite. I appreciate the convenience and communication that has come with modern life: cell phones so I can connect with friends at a crowded festival, the Internet so I can keep track of news around the country, PDAs with my whole life in one convenient gadget. But that's not what gets me up in the morning.

I like people. I enjoy meeting face to face with a person, hearing their stories and telling them. That's what gets me excited to come to work.

But the news business is changing, and my "need to know" approach to technology is about to get kicked up a notch. Telling stories doesn't mean just a notebook anymore. It might be digital recorders, a still camera or a video camera. I'm sure I can learn the skills, and we as a newspaper already told some pretty cool video stories that never would have worked in print. It's just a little overwhelming.

Please tell me I'm not the only one...

3 comments:

Ashley Northington said...

You are so NOT a dinosaur. I think most people are intimidated with all the newest technology, especially when it directly relates to jobs. If you are a dinosaur I must be too. We can learn together.

Donecia Pea said...

I agree with y'all. It's quite overwhelming and I don't know how to use alot of it (I'm prolly one of the few twenty-somethings that STILL doesn't have an iPod, yet! Hey,those things are expensive! But at least I am looking, lol.) But the prospect of being able to have more ways to tell a story is so exciting to me. As long as they don't just shove the stuff in our hands and send us on without any directions, (keeping fingers crossed!) I think we'll be OK ...

Anonymous said...

You're not the only one!!

I refused to switch from casettes to CD's until I couldn't find my music on casette anymore. Sometimes I am just not up to the expense of upgrading, especially when I know that in 5 years the "newest thing" will be out-of-date.