Sunday, November 12, 2006

One last look at the week that was ...

As I get ready to face a new week, I can't help but reflect on the events of last week.
I mean wow, what a week of historical proportions.
There was the good news (at least as I see it):
Shreveport made history by electing its first black mayor. The Dems took back Congress. Nancy Pelosi became the first woman speaker of the House ever, making her third in line as president in case something ever happened to Bush or Cheney. Massachusetts elected only the second black governor ever in American history. And all of this was literally in one day. Wow.

Then there was the bad:
Longtime, trailblazing journalist Ed Bradley died of complications from leukemia. Man, I didn't even know he was sick. I still remember seeing him in person about six years ago. I was a senior at Dillard University and a group of us mass com students flew to D.C. to attend Howard University's annual mass communications fair. Bradley and Mike Wallace were two of three panelists at this CBS workshop. To see the same man I'd grown up watching on television since I was a little girl was just simply incredible.
I remember he was so intelligent, yet chill, laid back and even had a sense of humor throughout the panel discussion. I came out of that brief experience with even more admiration and respect for him than the huge amount I already had. What a loss.

R&B lovers like myself are still reeling from the sudden death of R&B crooner Gerald Levert, son of O'Jays singer Eddie Levert. I realize many of you out there probably don't even know who he is. I mean, it's not like his death has gotten much national mainstream press beyond BET, which I find simply amazing and somewhat offensive, considering this man had a 20-year career in the business that included many R&B hits like "Casanova," "Just Coolin'" "Baby Hold On To Me" and I literally could go on and on and on. But like I said, real R&B lovers for sure knew who he was and ultimately that's all that matters anyway. Not only was he a vocal powerhouse, but he represented for the grown and sexy plus-size men out there. And what fan out there can ever forget the energy and fiery passion he put into his performances?

Next, to complete the set, (because you know celebs always die in threes) there was death of longtime actor Jack Palance. I'm just really clueless right now as to who he was, especially considering that he was 80-something and the only thing I'm familiar with that he was in is "City Slickers," but still I'm sure it's a huge loss for his fans all the same.

It's still hard to believe all of this drama popped off in just one week. It kinda makes you wonder "Gee, what in the world could happen next?" Still not sure if I want to know the answer ... I think I'll just wait and see.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, your take on things really reveals the spaciousness that lives within your brain.