Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Now I'm Adult-ish

After using everything from milk crates to rickety wooden tables to prop up my TV, I now have an entertainment center. It involved a trek to IKEA in Dallas that has been eight months in the making, but I finally have some “adult” furniture.

Hopefully, the days of borrowed and donated hideously ugly hand-me-downs for my apartment are over. My couch came from some girl in Texas, my armchair from my dad, my kitchen table from my grandparents. But even those things are relatively new additions. When I interned in South Carolina, I didn’t own a TV, I slept on an air mattress in the living room for awhile and I put my computer on the cheapest desk I could find at the dreaded Walmart. Visitors had to sit on my stylish blue camp chair, complete with cup holder and foot rest, the replacement for the one I think the neighbors stole on my first day in town after I let it sit outside for too long. But that’s another story...

Surely y’all people understand where I’m coming from. Everybody knows that person with nothing in their living room but a stereo and/or a TV sitting on floor and a mattress without a box spring stuffed in the corner of the bedroom. Or maybe that person is you.

Slowly but surely I’ll replace the couch, chair, etc. with stuff that I like, but right now I’m happy with the entertainment center. Besides, I have a string of colored Christmas lights permanently strung up in the living room, a blue lava lamp in front of the window and I still eat Ramen noodles from time to time.

I guess I’ll never be, and really don’t want to be, your typical “adult.” But if you don’t mind, I’ll look at my entertainment center and pretend from time to time.

5 comments:

Stephanie Netherton said...

Congrats Val! I understand what you mean. I bought living room furniture about a year ago and I still get a mild sense of accomplishment when I sit down. It's a good first step but I'm still not ready to buy a house!

Anonymous said...

Watch out. Adult furniture leads to higher moving bills, mortgages and committed relationships. Travel light. It's easier.

Anonymous said...

Right on. I now live in a house (not my dad's), and I've bought an actual bed instead of a futon, stuff like that ... but there's all the hand-me-downs to remind me that I'm still young. No shame in keeping that stuff around!

Anonymous said...

Val!

i've known people to travel for days just to get to the IKEA parking lot. i don't know why it's such a big deal. i've never been.

no, this post isn't stupid. haha.

Val Horvath said...

I hate shopping. I mean really hate it. But I love IKEA. You have to check it out if you haven't been. It is like no other store I've ever seen...